Life is an adventure!

Open your sail and allow the wind to carry you toward your dreams...

Solo: On Her Own Adventure


Years ago I read a book called "Solo: On Her Own Adventure" (Susan Fox Rogers, 1996), a collection of essays by women who've done solo expeditions, whether a simple overnight camp or a yearlong journey by bicycle around New Zealand. As I read the book the first time, it struck me that I no longer wanted to identify with being "single", but rather "solo".

The word "single" many times has negative connotations. Single implies lack, like we are somehow inadequate, incomplete or something is missing in our life or something is wrong with us if we are alone. Singleness is often looked at like a disease or weakness that needs to be cured or remedied by being in a relationship. Well-intentioned friends or even our very own ego/lust tries to hook us up with someone...like we are diminished because we aren't partnered.

In contrast, the word "solo" is so much more empowering. Solo implies independence, competence, fully equipped and prepared for anything without needing "external support" in order to have a confident, successful, safe and enjoyable expedition. She operates from a place of strength, peace, curiosity and passion. Serendipity is her faithful companion as well as her trustworthy compass. Because as long as she is open to possibilities, she is never alone, lost, nor far from her purpose because she understands that life is a journey, not simply a destination. Along her travels, her path crosses with other sojourners...they often sit around the campfire drinking a warm cup of kinship as they share personal discoveries and reflections with one another.

As a solo explorer, I endeavor to discover as much about myself as about the world around me. There are two Universes: the inner and outer...within me and outside (around) me and I enjoy exploring both. It's necessary and crucial for my peace of mind to be in touch with both. So no matter whether I'm "single", dating or partnered, I'll always consider myself solo.

Here's to adventures, where ever they may lead!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Disclaimer: I don't mean to infer that those who are dating, partnered or married aren't competent, independent or fully equipped on their own. My intention was to address the negative connotations of the word "single" :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment