Life is an adventure!

Open your sail and allow the wind to carry you toward your dreams...

Preview: Casio G'zOne Brigade (waterproof phone!)

While most people are opting for smaller, thinner, lighter phones, I'm opting for a waterproof, thermal-tolerant phone. In other words, a phone that isn't afraid to be out in the elements with me! I don't often use my phone while out kayaking or photographing in winter, but it's good know that if I want to, I can.

I can't tell you how excited I am that I'm able to have such a phone. The journey towards this moment in time has spanned several years...

Back in 2005 when I was on Sprint's network, I looked (lusted?) at the Casio G'zOne Rock, but it was only available on the Verizon network. (Don't even get me started on proprietary phone contracts! Cell phones should be like a computer or any other device or appliance. If I paid for it, I should be able to choose my carrier or ISP.) But that's a whole other topic for another day!

Fast forward a few years and I had moved to Traverse City in Summer 2008. At that point Verizon service was inadequate in this area (as well as Sprint), so I switched from Sprint to Alltel as my carrier of choice. It seemed my dream of owning a waterproof phone was evaporating before my very eyes.

But wait! The story doesn't end there!!

Fast forward another 18 months to October 2009 when Alltel service is converted to Verizon (after Verizon bought Alltel in June 2008). Many corporate buy-outs cause more problems for the consumer, and who knows whether this acquisition is a good thing or not. All I know is that my dream of owning a waterproof phone was resurrected, like Neptune emerging from the Deep. Sure it may be just a phone, but I've learned that patience brings great reward for those who willing to wait :)  Since I had a relatively new plan with Alltel, I had to put in my time in order to qualify for an upgrade.

Yesterday, June 1st was that date! WOO HOO!!

Today I placed an order for the Casio G'zOne Brigade. The Brigade is a rugged and handsome phone that promises not cry if dropped on land or splashed by the sea. It meets Military Specifications 810F standards for "Water, Shock & Dust Resistance, Immersion, Vibration, Salt Fog, Humidity, Solar Radiation, Altitude, Low and High Temperature Storage".  Although "Solar Radiation" is just Military lingo for "sunshine", it's good to know that if I'm subjected to too much Sunshine, my phone can handle the exposure and I don't have to slather SPF-50 on it! ;)

The phone is completely waterproof...not splash proof, or water resistant, but WATERPROOF. This is my most favorite feature since I'm always outside in, on, under or near the water -- whether of the liquid or frozen variety. Sure I have a waterproof "otter case" for my cell phone when I'm paddling in my kayak. But if I really ever needed/wanted to use my phone, I'd be afraid of opening the otter case while on the water. The Brigade will find a nice place up front with me in my PFD pocket. No more allocating it to where I can't reach it, let alone use it! (Although The Brigade IS waterproof, it won't float. So this puppy will be attached to a leash to keep it out of Davey's Locker!)

Apart from The Brigade being waterproof, it will handle temps from 14°F to 160°F! I am much more inclined to be located toward the low end of the temperature spectrum. But if I find myself standing on the surface of the sun, I'm comforted knowing I can phone home!

I don't know how often or whether I will actually call from my kayak or while I'm out hip-deep in snow on a winter photo shoot, but I really like knowing that I have the option to use my phone in all sorts of weather conditions. Since I pay for a full month of service, I want a full month of potential usage no matter where I am located or what conditions I find myself.

My new phone is scheduled to arrive on June 7th. I'll post a follow-up entry after I actually use the phone. I purchased it online through Amazon Wireless Beta website which offered the best online deal, even beating Verizon by over a hundred bucks!

So call me up on a week or two and see how I'm fairing with the Brigade. If I'm out snorkeling, I'll even answer it while underwater to test the submersibility :)

Until then, here's to Adventures where ever they may lead us!

0 comments:

Post a Comment