Life is an adventure!

Open your sail and allow the wind to carry you toward your dreams...

Pruning Facebook

A friend of mine asked me today:
"What does pruning Facebook mean?"

Pruning Facebook for me, means cutting back on exposure and involvement except for connections with family and friends. I want to highlight and emphasize the positive instead of focusing on the negative. I want to take better care of myself mentally and emotionally.

"The Great Hack" among other documentaries and sources is a keen reminder to me for the importance of being more mindful, not getting caught up in the drama and carried away in chaos.

When I joined FB in 2009, it was for the purpose of connecting with friends and family who lived across state, across the nation and across the world.

Over the years, groups I've joined (activity-based, political, social, etc) have overwhelmed my FB feed to the point, that my friends/family presence is no longer prominent.

Among other things, the political discourse and divisiveness is not good for my peace of mind...I find myself being so upset about something I have nearly no control over.

And quite frankly, the creation/propagation of misinformation and focusing on our differences for the sole purpose of inciting division is not only unsettling, it is evil.

Tragically, there are many influential/powerful individuals and groups that attempt to bring strife and pit "us" against "them". These entities then sit back and watch the ensuing chaos with glee, able to swoop in and grab further control, most particularly politically.

Some people/groups take great pleasure in spreading evil like a hacker spreading a virus. Pruning Facebook for me, means installing antivirus by unfollowing or leaving groups...it already has made a difference 🙂

#ownyourdata

0 comments:

Post a Comment