Life is an adventure!

Open your sail and allow the wind to carry you toward your dreams...

Carpe Diem: "Seize the carp"?!

Yesterday when I checked the water temperature, I saw a carp in the shallow cove water near the dock. I must have spooked it when I walked on the dock because it shot off like a torpedo! It was really cool!

This morning as I was getting ready for work and brushing my teeth looking out the window at the ducks and geese coming in for breakfast, I noticed a HUGE school of carp! I counted 15 of them this morning! Tonight while I was working in the beach garden, I counted 21 of them!

Over the past few days, the warm weather raised the water to 69 degrees today (yesterday it was 63) and with the warm temps, algae is blooming like crazy! Whether the warm water or the algae brought the carp in, it was a unique wildlife encounter like I've not had before.

From my observations, there are 2 distinct colors/sizes of carp --- one is darker/larger and the other is like a rosy-beige/smaller in size. Presumably one is a male and the other is a female. Occasionally, a pair would split off from the rest of the school and follow one another through the cat tails and water, giving chase or simply meandering together. It was quite interesting to watch...like watching a courtship which is usually hidden.

I was careful to stay quiet, taking off my shoes so when I walked on the dock, I wouldn’t scare them off. I was able to even get in the water and walk within 2 feet of four of them as they fed! I reached through the cat tails and touched one lightly on the tail and it was as though it was ticklish and quickly flicked her tail and was gone! I felt the powerful turbulent water flow as she swam away from me...amazing! The one I touched took off, but the other three near me, didn’t seem bothered by it, for which I was glad.

It was really remarkable being so close to fish like this. I could see their eyes and the salmon-orange color of their lips. I could distinguish scales and even a couple scars on the darker ones – males fighting for territory? I was definitely intrigued. I shot pictures until my camera battery was drained and then stood in the knee high water simply watching them. It was peaceful and serene. The water was so warm and inviting...I wanted to join them!


[Shooting pictures in water is difficult. My next investment definitely will be a polarized filter for my lens. The filter will allow me to capture images under the surface of the water without the reflection.]

As I watched, every now and again I saw a lighter colored one roll over on her back and see the flash of white on her belly. I don’t know whether she was doing a courtship dance or laying eggs or what. I need to research and find out! Every now and again, one would “porpoise” to the surface, sucking the algae off the top of the water with a slurping sound! I stood there taking it all in for about 30 minutes, hardly breathing not wanting to disturb them.

It will be interesting to notice next year if they come in again when the water temperature hits around 63 degrees. I wrote it down in my beach journal so I don't forget.

Moments like this watching Nature in sync makes me feel very fortunate to be living in such a beautiful place. I enjoy feeling the rhythm of the water and land, seeing the moon rise and the early misty morning dawns. I don't take for granted the give and take of Life and the delicate balance all around me....

0 comments:

Post a Comment