Life is an adventure!

Open your sail and allow the wind to carry you toward your dreams...

Kayaking Across the East Bay

On Sunday, I paddled across the East Bay from my cottage to see how far across it was. I calculated 2.5 miles, but it ended up being 3.3 miles. I maintained 4 mph average on the entire trip, which I’m quite happy with! It doesn’t sound that fast, but on the water, it actually clips along!

At launch time, the water was moderately calm, with a slight SE breeze. I was going to explore the East coast once I got there, but on the other side of the bay, there were breakers rolling in…some of them about 2’. There wasn’t a cloud in the sky, but I decided to head back just in case a fast front was moving in.

No sooner did I turn around, I was faced with 4’ rollers coming out of the NW. I needed to paddle due west, but with the large waves angled against my hull, I was quite unstable in the water. I decided to hit the rollers head on, which took me on a bearing headed toward the Bluffs. My plan was then to paddle headlong in the rollers until I reached quieter water protected by the Bluff Cove.

I was tossed pretty good, my bow lifted up by waves above the water 4’ and then hitting the trough of the rollers, with my bow dipping below the surface washing water on the deck. It was a bit daunting, but I kept focused and kept my kayak perpendicular to the rollers to slice through. About ¾ the way across, I found quieter water and turned SW back toward my cottage.

Once I turned, the paddling was easier, I felt a breeze against my back and was able to paddle on top of waves pushing behind me, so I was able to surf for a good portion. After leaving the rollers, I felt comfortable enough to put up my sail to take advantage of the breeze. At one point, my speed was nearly 6 MPH!! Half again as fast as my average 4 MPH on my entire trip. What a rush!!

This was the longest open water crossing I’ve not up until now, nearly 8 miles total. I had a LOT of fun! At the same time, keenly aware of the delicate balance between success and failure. Although unplanned, I was on open water in the roughest conditions I’ve encountered up until now. I’m very grateful and happy it turned out well! I liked the challenge!

P.S. I want to give you all full assurance that if the water had been rougher, I would have turned back toward the East shore. In addition to a marine 2-way radio, I also carry my cell phone. If the water had been rougher, I would have called a friend to pick me up. I also “file” a float plan with a local friend and check back in once I get off the water. I try to make every preparation necessary between equipment, knowledge and skill. Although I do like to be challenged, I’m not foolhardy or take unnecessary risks.


As you can see, the water is calm and inviting when I was launching from my beach at 10:45am.

Here’s a view of my cottage from 4/10 mile out.

Looking NE toward shore.


Happy captain!


I reached the East Shore at 11:48 after 3.31 miles of paddling. I maintained 4 mph average on the entire trip, which I’m quite happy with! It doesn’t sound that fast, but on the water, it actually clips along!


The East Shore welcoming committee! :)

2’ rollers coming in from the NE. I better get going!


Hitting some 3 footers! If you look closely, you can see water cascading off the deck to the left. A split second before this was snapped, the bow was under the surface! Thank goodness for seaworthy hatches!


Heading downward in a trough. A 4 footer coming to meet me. I fought these 3-4’ rollers for another 30 minutes before heading SW.


Arrived back home at 1:15pm…a GREAT adventure and voyage! Total miles 7.85.

0 comments:

Post a Comment